Sunday, June 15, 2008

On the road to wellness

Today is Sunday; I have now been in Regina for four days. Since arriving, I have been running errands for Mom and working on my plan to have her gain some strength. Mom is very weak from weeks (months?) of not eating enough. She weighs just a bit over 100 lbs. Mom has simply been forgetting to eat. It has taken her a while to believe it, but Mom finally realizes that her memory is failing her. It is a Catch-22 situation: starving one's body of nutrients also starves the mind and dulls the memory. So far, we have added:

1) Boost (with added calories) twice a day (Strawberry or vanilla)
2) A breakfast that includes protein. Mom likes cereal and a banana for breakfast, so I am hoping to convince her to perk it up by adding an egg, a sardine or something similar.
3) Flaxseed (2 tbsp) on the morning cereal (rich in Omega 3)

What is good is that Mom is receptive to my help. I hope this new eating regime does help! I am also going to look into having Meals on Wheels deliver one meal a day and eventually increase the deliveries to daily.

Mom is buying Chad a blender. We got a nice small sturdy one at Superstore. It is for his housewarming present.

No comments: